Don’t know where to start on your dream home journey? New to the renovating/building game? You’ve come to the right place – we want to help get you started!
“Do I need an Architect?” is often the first question. We’ve answered this with our FREE guide and checklist!
Click here to get your copy sent to your inbox, and you’ll also receive our bi-monthly news with helpful advice about green buildings, sustainable design and healthy homes. Or see >>>>>>>
…from little things, big things grow…
You’re excited (but also a little apprehensive) about the prospect of renovating or building… it’s such a BIG thing! The planning, designing and building of your home can be a long, complicated process. Talina Edwards Architecture is here to help guide you along the way. Let’s break it down into smaller steps and start at the beginning.
Before we can get stuck into the exciting Design Stage where you can start to see your dream-home come to life on paper, there are a few initial steps to begin with, in the Pre-design stage.
Regardless of whether you decide to engage an architect to help with your full project, or end up deciding it is more suitable in your circumstances for you to go elsewhere, you do need to take the following steps. Failing to do so could lead to misunderstandings of all parties concerned, and result in costly mistakes by going down the wrong track…”failing to plan is planning to fail”.
Pre-Design Stage: Step 1. The seed is sown…
Site Review / Preliminary Consultation:
What do I get? This is a chance for you to meet with a design expert at your home/proposed site for an initial chat about what you’re hoping to achieve. The architect can look at initial site features, existing conditions, and to discuss briefly if your grand plans are compatible with the site/your budget/timeframe. There is no-obligation to commit to further architectural services.This first step includes:
- Checklist/Questionnaire will be sent to you prior “Seven questions to answer before talking with an architect”
- SITE REVIEW:
- 90minute preliminary consultation at your place
- Initial site review of existing conditions
- Discussion of your brief, budget and timeframe
- Discussion of design/planning/building process
- Information Package about architectural/building process
- Suggestion for next steps for your unique project
- Info about Pre-Design/Feasibility Study and Concept Design and Fee Proposal if applicable
Talina Edwards Architecture will conduct your Site Review from just $490* +GST.
“Your (Site Review) is exactly what I was hoping for, thank you! You gave me such practical advice and you had ideas that I would never of thought of. Most importantly I know the order in which I will start my renovations. It just goes to prove that everyone can benefit from an Architect knowledge, even if your budget is low.” Wendy Adams, Ballarat
Pre-Design Stage: Step 2. Look, it’s beginning to sprout!
Pre-Design/Feasibility Study Report & Concept Design:
What do I get? The second step in the Pre-Design stage is a “Feasibility Study Report and Concept Design” which goes into much more detail about your wish-list (to form a “project brief” after a thorough discussion with your architect). It is also a comprehensive site analysis that explores the specific opportunities and constraints for your project, and provides some options for your next steps. This report is an invaluable document for you to understand your scope/quality/budget and timeframe, and the limitations (and possibilities!) for your site. It will also determine whether architectural services are applicable for you…or not. (We will let you know if we think it would be in your best interests to go to directly to a builder, or a draftsperson, or perhaps an interior-designer instead.) The report documents the findings for you, including a conceptual hand-drawn plan, and an overview of the next steps. This Report (often 20+ pages long) includes the following:
- SITE ANALYSIS & CLIENT MEETING:
- Meeting to discuss client brief in greater detail
- Documentation of site analysis with photographs and notes
- RESEARCH AND REPORT ON FINDINGS:
- Site information
- Project brief
- Outline of planning permit requirements (if required)
- Outline of building permit requirements
- Photographs of existing site
- Site opportunities and constraints
- Sketch plan of existing conditions (Site Survey/Existing Conditions drawings to be provided by client)
- Budget Review (Project Cost By Quantity Surveyor if required at client’s expense)
- Project Timeframe
- Outline of the design, planning and building process
- Outline of the roles of other consultants
- Architectural Hand-drawn Concept Design Plan to scale (including functional relationship & spatial diagram) of proposal
- Design concept (Outline of some of the proposed design issues/features)
- Sustainability concept (Outline of some of the proposed sustainability features)
- Implementation guidelines and summary
Contact Talina Edwards Architecture to ask about the fee for this service depending on the size/scale/scope of your project.
*Conditions Apply: Site to be within greater Ballarat region (or beyond at pre-arranged travel rate), Consultation limited to 90minutes (additional time at hourly rate of $160 +GST). Fees subject to review. Fee to be paid in full prior to meeting. Current October 2017